亞聖外語留學機構討論區
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Essay examples I

向下

Essay examples I  Empty Essay examples I

發表  mencius 周四 12月 13, 2012 7:27 am

Dear students,

The following essays can be taken as supplementary materials other than our class materials. I hope you will take the most advantage of them, studying for their English expressions and content organization. It'd better if you can memorize the phrases and gists by hand writing at least three times.

I have to remind you one more time that the key to successful writing lies in "writing on your own." If you still don't have the habit of writing every day, you need to immediately pick up this habit so as to discipline yourselves to think and write in English. As I always say, "Writing determines your future study, in which the whole process requires your critical writing ability. You've got to have vision toward your future." Not only should you be afraid to write, but you also shouldn't be lazy to write. For your own good, start to write NOW!

BR, Good luck to you all,
Christine

Topic: Some people prefer to eat at food stands or restaurants. Other people prefer to prepare and eat food at home. Which do you prefer? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

After a hard day of work or study, many people feel like cooking for themselves is too much trouble. They prefer to grab a quick bite to eat at a restaurant and go home for rest as quickly as possible. But for me cooking at home is worth the time and trouble because it is cheaper, healthier, and more enjoyable.

Buying my own groceries and cooking for myself is much less expensive than eating in a restaurant. I find that a meal that I cook myself on average costs half to two-thirds less than a comparable meal in a restaurant. Restaurants have to rent space, hire chefs, waiters, and managers, as well as buy food and make a profit. When I cook I have no overhead. The only extra expense I have to pay is the time it takes for me to cook the food.

In addition to being less expensive, when I buy my own groceries I can be sure I am buying the freshest and cleanest meats and vegetables available. Restaurants might think it's more important to buy the cheapest food possible in large quantities to make a higher profit. I also try and buy the healthiest food possible. For instance, when I buy meat, I try and buy the meat with the least fat on it. In a restaurant they add more fat and oil to dishes to make them taste better, but for me, health is more important.

Finally, cooking food with my friends and family brings me a special kind of joy. In a world that has increasingly focused on turning everyone into consumers, I enjoy being creative and producing something good. I enjoy learning and inventing new recipes and sharing them with friends. Even though it takes more time to shop, cook, and clean up when I cook for myself, at the end I have a sense that I did not waste the time so much as I truly enjoyed life for an hour at the end of the day. (336 words)

Topic: Some people believe that university students should be required to attend classes. Others believe that going to classes should be optional for students. Which point of view do you agree with? Use specific reasons and details to explain your answer.

The most important responsibility of college students is to pursue their course of study to the best of their ability. In most cases, this would mean attending every class. In reality, however, not every student is the same, and not every class is the same. If a student can study more effectively in another way, then that student should be allowed to pursue his/her studies to the best of his/her abilities, and not be required to attend classes that are not helpful to him/her.

Some students find it difficult to concentrate in large lecture classes and find reading quietly a more effective way of studying. If a student can achieve more by reading in the library and meeting with a professor during office hours than students who attend every class, he/she should not be prevented from studying in the most effective way for him/her.

The most important measures of a college student's academic progress are tests. In the weeks before exams, college student's need to arrange their own schedules becomes critical. For instance, if a student is very good at math but very poor at English, it might make more sense for that student to skip math class and spend the extra time preparing for an English test. If students are required to attend classes whose content they are already familiar with, at best they will be bored by redundant material, at worst they will fail tests in subjects they are less proficient in.

The argument might be made that it is the school's responsibility to organize its curriculum so that students are always challenged and therefore truly need to be at every class. I contend that it is impossible to tailor an entire school's curriculum to the individual needs of every single student. The best that can be hoped for is a well thought out curriculum with enough flexibility to handle the differences between individual students. Schools should trust the students to make choices that are in their own best interests, and use testing as the final arbiter of academic excellence. (342 words)

檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息 發送電子郵件

發表新主題 回覆主題 亞聖外語留學機構討論區 首頁 -> 寫作 所有的時間均為 GMT
第1頁(共1頁)
上一篇主題 :: 下一篇主題
訂閱這個主題 (回覆通知)

刪除主題 移動主題 鎖定主題 分割主題

mencius
Admin

文章數 : 157
注冊日期 : 2012-12-13
來自 : 台中市中區自由路2段8號10樓

http://www.mencius.com.tw